Call for Papers for Session Proposals
at the International Medieval Congress (IMC 2021)
Sponsored by the Oecologies Research Cluster
05–08 July 2021
University of Leeds
These sessions seek to explore how space and form — ecologies of consciousness — inform, challenge, and perpetuate reading, writing, consideration, and understanding in the medieval and early modern eras. Focusing on the “climates” of perceptions, philosophies, and cosmologies of the premodern world, they query and explore how immediate and perceived environments created and generated texts and concepts from the medieval and early modern eras that are reliant on aspects of form, both imagined and real. How do the ecological proclivities of premodern cultures and understandings inform our exploration of the past, present, and future?
Suggested topics, on any geographic area, may include, but are not limited to:
- landscape and place studies
- textual forms
- environmental humanities
- systems of thought
- world building, “built” worlds, and their environment
- relationships between “climates” of thought, literatures, and philosophies
- ecological intersections in cultural outputs or paradigms
Submissions from a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to literatures, textual studies, cultural and social histories, and visual cultures, are encouraged. We welcome global, regional, and local approaches to the Middle Ages, and we encourage proposals by BIPOC scholars, international scholars, and scholars at all stages of their careers.
Please submit a 250-word proposal for a 15- to 20-minute paper. Proposals should include an abstract and accompanying one-page CV including email, current affiliation, and position. Please submit proposals as PDF or Word files by 25 September 2020 by email to both:
- firstname.lastname@example.org — David Coley, Simon Fraser University, Co-Director, Oecologies Research Cluster, and
- email@example.com — Kenna Olsen, Mount Royal University, Advisory Council Member, Oecologies Research Cluster
For more on the Oecologies Research Cluster, please see oecologies.com.